Monday, September 3, 2012

The Nitty and Gritty of Financial Strain with Little Kids

Why does finances cause so much stress and conflict in our lives?  It's just money, right???
That's what I used to think. 

Let me start with the fact that I know I am blessed. I have so much.   I have been blessed far more than I even deserve.  And there are people who have nothing, and they see me as rich beyond measure.  I write this post aware of this fact, and I am humbled. 

My family has been blessed with much and less.  When we are in times of much, I  often forget how to live with less.  Right now we are transition to a lean time.  I wanted to capture what happens when there is less at my home.

  • When we have less, your husband and you have to "debate" whether or not we can afford to buy fresh fruits and vegetables.  The kids cover their ears from the high volume of the "debate".

  • When we have less and a glass of milk spills to the floor, I do "cry" because I know that we can't buy more milk for over a week.

  • When we have less and the kids run out of their favorite snack, they don't understand we can't go run out and get more.  That hurts your heart and pride.

  • When we have less and the kids think it's fun to fill the toilet with toilet paper, you don't just laugh at their silly antics.  You might even get angry as you begin to sweat as you think of not having any toilet paper.

  • When we have less, you feel like a terrible parent at a play date when your kids begin to covet their buddies lunches full of yogurts, grapes, cheese sticks, juice boxes, etc.  Your kids have a peanut butter and homemade jelly sandwich and water.  And then you begin to get jealous.

  • When you have less, you get left out a lot.  Your friends can go and do and enjoy, and you and your family stay home.  (So we have backyard camp outs, picnics, and go for lots of walks.)

  • When you have less and you are invited to a kids' birthday, you have to sacrifice your food budget to buy a gift that you pray the child will actually like since it cost you a gallon of milk, 5 loaves of bread, and bananas for the month.

  • When you have less, you have old fashioned oatmeal for breakfast, lunch, and supper!



If you are in a lean time, I join you in the suffering, but I want to share with you MY HOPE. 
The secret to being content in any situation is turning your focus to the work of the Gospel and our true Provider and Protector.  I sing out loud this verse when I get down about having less.  And I praise God with this verse when I have much.

Philippians 4: 11:-13
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment